Pages

Thursday, February 23, 2012

- Boo Hoo

Kate Gosselin has once again gone onto national television. Not for fame and fortune over birthing eight children, not to fight with her ex-husband and major dork Jon Gosselin, and not to dance away the evenings in ridiculously low cut gowns.

Nope, she was there to say she is sad over the fact that she's... not dating right now.

It's a hardship for her, sure. She spoke about her personal life with Dr. Drew (who else?) on his "Lifechangers" program.
When asked about her love life, the one-time reality star got teary-eyed and said she is "so lonely."
Give me a break. I saw Don Rickles do that routine once.
"I think a lot of my friends who are being constructive say, 'Gosh, who are you going to meet that is going to be able to deal with eight kids?'"
What friend could she have that would tell her that? That would be like telling someone in a wheelchair 'Gosh, who are you going to meet that is going to want to date someone in a wheelchair?' Most people have enough tact not to blurt out such ill considered, short sighted statements.

For that matter, what were these same friends saying when she took all that time away for her stint on Dancing with the Stars? "Gee, Kate, you can't dance worth beans. And you're driving your partner crazy with all those questions and incessant whining. He's the professional dancer, for heaven's sake. You need to trust him." Well yes, he was the professional dancer, but he was not that well versed in Kate Gosselin, which of course was the main thing for him to be focusing his energies upon.
"The odds are so against me, one mom and eight kids..."
Maybe the kids aren't the issue.
I clean up the house, put kids to bed and there I sit. Ideally I would find that person... I don't know if I feel ready for that."
So she is really lonely and wants to meet a nice man, but she doesn't know if she feels ready for meeting a nice man. This is the kind of stuff that drives guys crazy. She is so focused on how she feels, and at the same time she is all over the map. I can't keep up.
Gosselin knows that such a man could be hard to find. She remarked, "I mean, I don't expect someone to come in and financially provide for my kids. I mean, they're mine, that's my job. So, just to have somebody there."
Yeah, I don't think it's the kids, Kate.

19 comments:

  1. Oh boo hoo, sob, sob. Is this a plea for another dismal 'reality' show?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really. "The Romances of the Single Mom" She's got eight children. How could she be so focused on trying to get dates?

    And yes, I know, I know too much about this stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am aware of this woman. That you watched the entire clip is an effort I was unable to match.

    Didn't I watch her whining on a show about Governor Palin?
    .

    ReplyDelete
  4. That Dr. Drew. They sure better be paying him some bucks to be sitting there listening to all this. I mean, how does he do it without cracking a smile?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't actually see the Tina Korbe interview that drew so much interest, but setting aside notions one might have of mother of eight, are we in that general neighborhood, or is she well within the safe zone? I'm guessing safe. Roxe? Cathy? I need a little help here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The dress comment seems a little mean, but for heaven's sake, she's on national TV complaining that she can't get dates!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I recommend California Medjool. They can be a little pricey at nearly $8/lb, but the Jumbos are the largest, sweetest, juiciest--the true cream of the crop.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, as far as the skirt length goes, "appropriate" is relative -- Tina Korbe came under fire for wearing a skirt that many believed too short for a business/political event (professional day-wear), and I would personally agree. (Although I suspect this may have been an unintended consequence of hasty shopping rather than intended effect, especially after looking through other pictures of her I could find online.)

    I don't know what the world at large would consider the appropriate attire for a reality-show star appearing as the guest of another reality show star who specializes in, er, relationships, but I'd guess that a cocktail-party dress is about right. It isn't shorter than current fashions, she seems to have the legs for it, and it's quite conservative in cut. So, I don't see anything scandalous about it, even if she is somebody's mother. ;)

    As for being lonely; with 8 children under the age of 12, all from a broken home ;) I'd hope she would keep her focus on the children who need her to be a constant in their lives, rather than on any new outlets for her time and attention. And if there's any chance that is part of the reason she's not sure she's ready to meet a nice man, that would be great.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You'd be sorry, Bede, based on the way she acted on Dancing With The Stars.

    Unless you were talking about the Medjools and flinging them at her. My Brit slang is rusty.

    In either case, what do I know? I would like to date Saffron Burrows. Either way.

    ReplyDelete
  10. She'd have to pay for all the babysitters, mind.
    Actually I had no idea who she was when I wrote that: I was just chivalrously leaping to the lady's defence. Now I've looked her up on Wikipedia I see that she's written three books about having eight kids, making a total of twenty-four. That she can do all that, and dance badly at the same time, makes her A-OK in my book.
    As long as she's okay with fish and chips and no pudding I think we've made a deal.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for those insights everyone. I can see by Cathy's comment that there is quite a bit to this whole dress selection question, with rules that are both dizzying and vague. I think I'll steer well clear of that topic in the future. But as to the loneliness of Kate Gosselin, I'll tell you this much, the whole bit played a lot better when Don Rickles was pitching it to Johnny Carson.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Would it help if I called you a "hockey puck,"
    James?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Darrell, you're always stretching me. Hockey puck? Call me a hockey puck by all means, but where is that taking me? Drat it, I can't bridge it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hockey puck? That's a Don Rickles' reference.
    You know I was going to point that out above, but I find that footnotes and jokes rarely are seen in the same place at the same time. I thought you were familiar with his shtick.

    ReplyDelete
  15. As long as she's okay with fish and chips and no pudding...

    I'd order the big bowl of vanilla pudding, if I were you. She's a battered-cod dunker, like Doctor Who. Which is a pretty good example of how she acted in practice on Dancing With The Stars--a newly re-incarnated Doctor with "his" memories in that time lord pocket watch. She didn't seem to have a clue how humans act. Or how to take instruction. She was off in her own little world. At one point, her infinitely-patient partner showed her five steps and asked her to do it with him. She did something completely different. He laughed and asked if she really thought that was what he showed her--as if he had an epiphany as to the source of her problem. She shushed him and told him that he was breaking her concentration and continued to do eight more steps. At times, he seemed confused, thinking he should laugh because she was doing comedy or something. She apparently wasn't. At one point he said "Great!" and it wasn't the first time he complimented her as encouragement. She burst out crying. If Tony Dovolani wanted to relive the experience, I truly believe that he would head to the nearest psychiatric hospital to give a dance lesson.

    NTTAWWT, if that's exactly what you were hoping for. I wish you two all the happiness in the world! Maybe you could invite Saffron to the wedding without a Plus-1? I'm available and I promise to leave the food dates in Customs.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Here's Rickles using his catchphrase in a commercial you might know.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lr5a4kG60TM

    ReplyDelete