Pages

Friday, February 24, 2012

Undiscovered Country

The Rick Santorum rise has brought a great deal of interest in the man's choices, choices for life, choices to accept certain suffering if suffering was what life had dealt him. Though baffling to some, they are life affirming choices, and choices that encourage many others, April Gavaza among them:
When my oldest was diagnosed with her numerous congenital heart defects, we were told that many of the kids with her kind of heart don’t always make it very far. It was a long, stressful, heartrending road, but we walked it with her. I’d have carried her to the gates of Heaven itself, if I could have. But I wasn’t able to do that, and she went on without me. I didn’t know about her heart before she was born, but if I had, I can’t help wondering if I’d have been advised to terminate the pregnancy. Her outlook was bleak, and I could have “saved” myself heartache and pain if I’d decided to scrap the defective and try again. But I’d not have traded those 2 years and 9 months for anything. Anything.
April is a pleasure to know. Read the whole thing. Oh, and then hit the tip jar. She's a gem!

2 comments:

  1. She is a gem. She has learned from life something important about what is precious and what is not. Thanks for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, she is. And a good read. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete