Pages

Friday, June 3, 2011

Palin Questioned, Scoffed At... Revere Questioned, Taken Seriously


Our betters on the left are all a twitter over Sarah Palin and her curious comments on Paul Revere during her "unconventional" and "really unfair" One Nation Tour.

Admittedly, her take seems different from what I learned about the silversmith Revere while reading Johnny Tremain and watching the Disney production of same. But wait, Mr. Revere himself would like to comment on the discussion.
"I observed a Wood at a Small distance, & made for that. When I got there, out Started Six officers, on Horse back,and orderd me to dismount;-one of them, who appeared to have the command, examined me, where I came from,& what my Name Was? I told him. it was Revere, he asked if it was Paul? I told him yes He asked me if I was an express? I answered in the afirmative. He demanded what time I left Boston? I told him; and aded, that their troops had catched aground in passing the River, and that There would be five hundred Americans there in a short time, for I had alarmed the Country all the way up. He imediately rode towards those who stoppd us, when all five of them came down upon a full gallop; one of them, whom I afterwards found to be Major Mitchel, of the 5th Regiment, Clapped his pistol to my head, called me by name, & told me he was going to ask me some questions, & if I did not give him true answers, he would blow my brains out. He then asked me similar questions to those above. He then orderd me to mount my Horse, after searching me for arms"
My word, I did not know that. Thanks Sarah.

With a tip of the hat to William Jacobson over at Legal Insurrection.

6 comments:

  1. The one is laughed at for her comments about the British presence in the story of Paul Revere and his late night ride, the other is confronted by those very same British officers, and has a gun held to his head and his life threatened. But they are telling the very same story.

    Look at what Sarah Palin said in context of our situation today: "We are not going to let you take away our freedom. We are not going to let you take away our guns." The guns were important to the story because they were a threat to the British. They gave the people means to oppose them, and made them less manageable. Of course the British missed the point that most of the colonists that led the revolution considered themselves English gentleman, and as such were entitled to the rights of representation as any Englishman would have. For their part, the British tended to view the colonists in America as "Colonists" and not true English gentlemen. The mistake the British made was in their thinking about the colonists and their relationship to them. The people were not to be managed, they were to be represented.

    How does this president view the American people, and how does someone like Sarah Palin view them? Which holds closer to the viewpoint of a King George III, and which holds a view more in line with that of a John Adams? That is the key point of the entire affair, and it is worth noting.

    ReplyDelete