Pages

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Pippa Middleton

Blog fav Roxeanne de Luca has drawn our attention to CafeMom writer (don't ask - look, I would know nothing of the the UK Daily Mail's gossip columns if it weren't for being a devoted Hyacinth Girl reader) Maressa Brown, who is irked that the fashion police have drawn out the long knives for Queen Kate's little sister, Pippa Middleton:
But the initial "hey shiny object!" reaction seems to be wearing off, and people are getting a bit testy about her every little misstep. Like, okay, she had what could barely be classified as an almost-"wardrobe malfunction" last month at London Fashion Week. Tongues clucked. Now, she's getting grief for a gorgeous red satin Temperley gown she rocked this past weekend at the Boodles Boxing Ball charity event (I'm not sure what that is, but it sounds like a load of Brit fun!).
Why yes, Maressa, it does sound like a lot of fun, and I'm glad you're game. As to the fashion police, I am with you on that score as well. Pippa looks like a nice girl to me. She wants to go off for the boxing ball or what have you, why say no? And the dress, well look, these famous people trapped in the public eye are expected to wear sensational clothes, and always a different gown, and never something anyone else has ever worn, ever.

Right.

Look, who cares? She has a nice smile, she seems like a supportive sister, it's not her job to be royal. She has her own life to live... let her just get on with it. And if you fashion wonks want to follow her around and photograph her, spare me the fashion critique. I don't care.

4 comments:

  1. The Boodles Boxing Ball is a boxing exhibition for charity, namely the Starlight Foundation that provides for childrens' medical care, granting wishes for sick children, etc.

    And Pippa looks just ducky. She can take a pass at the spray-tan booth, in my humble opinion, but what do I know?

    ReplyDelete
  2. How come you know what the Boodles Boxing Ball is and I didn't have the first clue?
    As for Pip getting a backlash, I can't say I'd noticed. A few women in the fashion columns, perhaps. But we chaps remain loyal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, gentlemen, but has Pippa's use of the empire waist gone too far, does the ease of the garment work against her natural contours, and does the minaudiere she chose suit the rest of the ensemble? Those are the salient questions we find so troubling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, you can follow Pippa's ass on Twitter--[http://twitter.com/pippasass]-- more than could be said for Prince Chuckles. I rather hear what Pippa's ass has to say, as well.

    As for the empire-waisted dress, it took me a while to figure out that it was really pronounced "om-peer"--just long enough for me to become a lifelong "Jethro" to the fair ladies I hoped to impress. And by impress, I mean get to know in Eve's state before the unfortunate apple incident. But being a Chicago boy, that fate was already sealed anyway. Fortunately, I didn't mind providing the context for their "slumming" adventures.

    ReplyDelete